Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Water...

According to my Page-A-Day cat calendar for today:




Humans generally think of water as a tasteless liquid, but scientists have discovered that cats are able to detect different flavors in the water they drink. This may help to explain why some family pets prefer to drink from the faucet.

I knew I was part cat....

I have to say, I don't agree that water is tasteless. It's another one of those things I'm picky about. Unfortunately where I live now, that means drinking bottled water and not all water tastes the same - bottled or not.

I know lots of people love to recite that line from Reality Bites - Evian spelled backwards is naive. I've heard people say that it all tastes the same...But to me it definitely does not.

I grew up drinking well water from the tap - when I visit my parents, I still do. I lived in Charlottetown, PEI, for a couple of years and I drank the tap water there too because it tasted just fine. In Saint John, the tap water tastes like chlorine. So bottled water it is.

I'm not saying that all I drink is Evian, but I do insist on spring water. I don't like any of the filtered, ozonated, demineralized, remineralized water. It does not taste like water at all to me. I find it quite unpleasant.

What do you think? Is water a tasteless liquid?

10 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Of course water has a taste! When I first moved out here to the ranch, I couldn't stand to drink the soda water - could barely stand the smell of it! Had to make coffee with it in order to drink it at all.

Now, when I go to town, all I smell is the chlorine in the city water.

Bottled water doesn't quench my thirst. Must be because I'm so accustomed to the soda in our water now.....

Tanya said...

It's tasteless... until you go somewhere that it tastes REALLY bad. Does that make sense?

JavaChick said...

Bag Lady - what is soda water? I grew up drinking well water and it was described as 'hard water' - lots of minerals in it; I think that's what makes it taste good!

Tanya - I think I know what you mean. :)

Unknown said...

Yep, water definitely has taste. I used to live in a smaller city just outside the city I currently live in and I didn't like drinking the tap water in my other city- it didn't taste as good. The tap water here is just fine though.

Maybe we're all cats at heart!

Amy said...

I can definitely taste the differences in water. But then again, I already knew I was part cat. My nickname is "kitten!"

~Laura said...

Water is not something that I care for the taste of. I almost always have to add lemon and sweet and low to drink it. I do like the flavored waters, but just plain ole water I do not have a taste for at all. Most of the time I end up drinking tea with splenda.

Anonymous said...

SO INTERESTING!! I had no idea about the cat thing as Im 100% a waterdrinker who ags down her daily glasses.

oh that I were even 10% cat...

the Bag Lady said...

Javachick - soda water is well water that has different minerals in it (has a high sodium content) - it is really, really soft. I had to relearn how to do everything from washing clothes to washing dishes, to washing my hair. If you use too much soap, it takes FOREVER to rinse it out. It makes dishes really slippery, and creates scum on your clothes if you use too much soap.
It also has quite a bit of rust in it, so it stains things in the laundry (white clothes look dingy in no time) and the toilet bowl turns orange.....
I hate it for boiling potatoes because no matter how low you turn the heat, they boil over. Every.Single.Time!!!!!
That's soda water. It also makes you thirsty if you aren't accustomed to it.
Gosh, I could write a whole blog post about it.....oops, looks like I already did! Sorry for hi-jacking your comment section!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you - after growing up with the most amazing water in the world (in Hawaii), everything else pales in comparison!

Anonymous said...

I dont like water...I have a hard time drinking it. However, when I'm really thirsty I love love love it...and think I should drink it more. haha.