Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2007

Adventures In Dieting, Episode 1

Time to introduce my darling husband; let's call him Moon, as in: he is my sun and moon and stars. It also happens to be a variation of the name he uses online, so it works.

Moon is a confirmed computer geek. Every so often he likes to get together with his computer geek friends for an evening to play computer games. Last nights was one of those nights and he packed up his computer and took himself off to play with the guys after work. On these occaisions he often stops to buy himself some snacks, and if he doesn't eat the snacks that night, they end up coming home with him.

So, this morning I get up and head to the kitchen for breakfast. I was thinking of cereal, but it turns out we were low on milk, so I decide waffles. We have some Eggo waffles in the freezer, and I don't eat them every day, but sometimes on the weekends it's nice to have a treat. I usually defrost some frozen berries to go on top - get in a fruit serving and it makes it more filling.

As I am doing things in the kitchen to get breakfast ready, Moon comes out and starts talking about his evening with the guys and pulling treats out of his duffle bag. An unopened bag of party mix. An almost empty bag of Pringles Select Szechuan Barbecue chips. And to top it off, one of my favourite things, a bag of Mrs. Dunster's donuts. The sugared crescents, the ones I really like. I usually will buy them if we are having company for the weekend, because left on my own I can eat a whole bag in a couple of days.

I can only surmise that it was all this distraction, because I have defrosted berries many times in the microwave without mishap. Today I was obviously not paying attention to what I was doing, because the next thing I know there are berries all over the inside of the microwave.

This day was not getting off to a good start.

To top it off, the guys had planned to BBQ and my darling hubby had decided he was in the mood for hotdogs. But unfortunately, the host had not realized he was out of propane, so they ended up eating out, and Moon came home with a package of Top Dogs All Beef hotdogs and a bag of buns. Since they can't be wasted, we had hotdogs for lunch. And then hot dogs for supper.

I finished off the bag of Pringles (there was only about one serving left) and I had one donut. I have told Moon that he must take the party mix into his computer room and make sure that I don't see it. I'm ok as long as this stuff is not around, but if it's in the house it seems to be impossible to stay away from it. I'm amazed that I've made it through the day and only had one donut.

All in all, I've made it through the day without doing too badly points-wise. I had a nice big salad with my one hot dog for supper. I've had all my water. I did my Iron Yoga workout. So it has been an ok day. Just not quite how I had planned to start off my week. And we'll probably be eating hot dogs again tomorrow, to finish them off. Will have to make sure I plan lots of healthy, veggie-heavy meals for the rest of the week.

No comments: