Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Watching the garden grow

On Monday evening, after work, I went out to check on my garden. I was amazed at how much things had grown, just in a few days. I guess we had just the right combination of sun and rain, because things seem to be taking right off.

So of course, I wanted to take more pictures. Which I did tonight. (For comparison, you can check out my post from a week ago: First Harvest)

IMG_3346

From a distance, it doesn't look like much, does it?

But that little space is packed full of good things.

The tomato plants, in particular, seem to have had a growth spurt. They all have blossoms now, even my little Roma Tomato plants.

IMG_3321

I even have my first little grape tomato.

IMG_3329

And look at those Sunflower plants, in between the tomato plants. They still have some growing to do, but hopefully there is still time for them to actually flower.

IMG_3322

I do wish my bean plants would grow a bit faster - they don't seem to be doing much yet.

IMG_3324

These tomato plants are bushing out all over the place. Not that I'm complaining, because they are also producing lots of green tomatoes.

IMG_3349

I think this plant is called Ultra Girl (which seems like a strange name for a tomato plant). Whatever it's called, the tomatoes seem to be growing very quickly. It is supposed to be an early bearing plant...Guess they know what they are talking about.

IMG_3326

This was also an early variety, possibly called Ultra Early? Seriously, who comes up with these names.

IMG_3327

And these are my faithful Scotia tomatoes. Lots of green ones on these plants.

IMG_3328

IMG_3348

The Cayenne Pepper plants seem to be working hard as well.

IMG_3319

The tomatillo plant is starting to get blossoms as well.

IMG_3315

I feel like I am well on my way to homemade salsa.

6 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Wow - everything looks great! I agree with you about the names of the tomato plants - some are just strange.

Missicat said...

Yum...I love grape tomatoes! Enjoy your salsa!

Unknown said...

Mmm salsa! I love watching gardens grow. And there's so much pride in seeing it grow when you do all the hard work of caring for it.

Erin said...

I am so jealous of your tomatoes! They are huge. (I would TOTALLY buy a tomato plant called Ultra Girl, that is really funny).

WeightingGame said...

i don't know why I spaced on buying a tomato plant this summer - the things grow like crazy and taste like candy (OK, maybe not CANDY, but they're good!) So yummy when they're warm from the sun. Reminds me of the garden my fam had growing up...

Unknown said...

Lookin pretty nummies right now!!!