Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Beck Diet - Day 12

The task for Day 12 is to Practice Hunger Tolerance. I am supposed to pick a day where I skip lunch and don't eat again until supper. I don't think I really want to do that on a work day - experience tells me that I don't want to end up cranky and headache-y at work; makes for a very long day. So this will probably have to be a weekend thing.

I get the point though. Just because I am hungry does not mean I must eat right this instant. I can survive until my next meal. Hunger is not an emergency. I do get that.

I am of two minds about this though. I have skipped meals before - not deliberately, but because I've been so busy that I forgot or just didn't have time until it was late enough that I decided I might as well wait for dinner. Sometimes it's ok. Sometimes I have ended up with a headache and the shakes. Either way, I certainly survived. The down side to this is, if I am that hungry, I don't necessarily make the best food choices. Theoretically, if I've got a meal plan for the day, I should be fine. Experience tells me that is not always the case.

Still, I can see that it is a good lesson. If I've had my breakfast, lunch, snack that I have packed for the day, but end up feeling hungry, it will do me no harm to wait for dinner to be ready.

NOTE: I am not saying that I expect to habitually starve myself. If I do get to the point where my head aches and I am shaky, I do think it's time to eat. But just feeling a bit hungry is not the end of the world.

And speaking of food...

Today, in lieu of cat/garden/deer photos (because it was a rainy soggy wet day out there today), I present: Dinner!

Photobucket

Photobucket

--------------------------------------------------------------
Daily Record
---------------------------------------------------- ----------

BF: 2 peaches with 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, coffee with cream (10%)
Lunch: Lemon Chickpea and Lentil Soup (from the freezer, of course) with 1/2 cup cottage cheese.
Snack: Yogurt & Fibre 1 bar
Supper: Tomato/Bell Pepper/Shrimp over pasta

Workout: Yogini Workout

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, a) I LOVE Fiber 1 bars - the chocolate and PB ones are so delish, like candy! b) Not sure how I feel about the Skipping Lunch thing. I can appreciate trying to teach ourselves that simply b/c we skip one lunch doesn't mean we'll die. But I don't think I could focus or get any work done if my stomach was grumbling and head hurting. Either way, good luck and stay safe/sane!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh my goodness dinner looks good! What time can I come over?

I'm with you and Leslie on being a little skeptical about the meal skipping part. Most of us know we CAN, it's just that the choices we make are so much better when we keep ourselves fueled with healthy stuff throughout the day.

Jaime said...

that looks freaking awesome! Yummy!

Gah, skipping a whole meal would probably kill me. I too get the headache and crabbiness. I agree that it's not the end of the world, but why do that to yourself on purpose? I guess one day as a test-run makes sense, but I don't see how you are going to learn much from that if you already know how your body reacts to low blood-sugar.

Anonymous said...

Oh geesh!....time for some grub! TASTY!