Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Beck Diet - Day 5

Eat slowly and mindfully. Check.

I've always been a slow eater. Always the last one to finish my meal. When I was younger this was not seen as a virtue. Parents would want you to finish your dinner already. In high school we had 15 minutes to eat, then we were supposed to be finished so that we could go outside. Eat lunch in 15 minutes? I thought this was crazy.

Now my slowness is a good thing. Take your time! Enjoy every bite!

This is my kind of rule.

Makes sense. You want to give yourself time to appreciate that you have eaten a meal, and therefore feel satisfied. You want to give your body a chance to register the fact that you are full and do not need to eat more. All very common sensical.

Not something you have a talent for? Dr. Beck recommends that you change something in your meal setting to remind yourself to slow down. Use a special plate. Put a flower in a vase in front of you. Anything that, when you catch sight of it, will remind you to slow down.

So that's Day 5, under control.

Can I just say that I'm missing my garden posts? All the pretty pictures? The joy I get from seeing things grow?

But there's not much to see these days. The tomato plants keep getting bigger, growing more green tomatoes. I've had more ripe tomatoes from the Cupid Tomato plants, more Sugar Snap Peas. I harvested my first batch of Baby Pak Choi and put in some more seeds. But things aren't changing much, day today. Plus, it's been rainy and I've been tired. And busy. Have I mentioned tired/busy?

Moving on.

Giving Myself Credit
1. Didn't want to track my calories today (I'm using The Daily Plate. Still kind of miss my FitDay, but The Daily Plate has such a good database of foods). Now that I'm back in meal planning mode, breakfast, lunch, snacks are pretty repetitive, the only thing changing much from day to day is supper. So I had a little bit of a 'Why bother?' moment. But this is what I have chosen to do. So I tracked it anyway.
2. Followed my planned meals/snacks
3. Went for a walk

-----------------------------------
Daily Record
-----------------------------------
BF: Fibre 1 Bar, Vanilla Yogurt, 2 peaches, coffee w/cream
Lunch: Lemon Chickpea Lentil soup, 1/2 cup cottage cheese
Supper: Tacos

Exercise: 45 min walk

3 comments:

Erin said...

I pretty much inhale my food if I don't think to slow down! I am really bad for that.

JavaChick said...

Husband is also an inhaler. The hungrier he is, the faster he eats. He'll be finished before I'm even half way through my meal. I'm surprised he tastes anything.

Unknown said...

I also like to eat food slowly. Drives the boyfriend crazy because hes an inhaler too. But if I'm not eating slowly and enjoying my food, then I feel as though I didn't get to taste it so I want more. Bad, bad cycle!