Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Rest of the weekend...

When I left off last night, we were heading here:

Photobucket

This is Husband's favorite restaurant in Halifax. His family went there often while he was growing up. I did try taking some photos of the food, but it was quite dark in the restaurant so the pictures didn't come out great. They offered us a tasting menu - we had appetizers, soup and 6 main dishes of our choice (there were 14 of us). I think this photo sums it up nicely:

Photobucket

After dinner we piled into our parade of vehicles and headed home to the valley. My parents house is just outside of Greenwood. Since there were already so many people staying there, Husband and I went on to Husband's parents house in Middleton which was about a 90 minute drive from Halifax. Add that to the 4 hour drive from Saint John to Halifax that morning and we were well and truly tired of being in the car!

Saturday was a more relaxed day. We hung out at Husband's parents place for part of the day, then headed over to my parents house for a BBQ. The weather was not very cooperative - my father manned the grill while holding an umbrella. But we still had a good time.

Before we knew it, it was Sunday and Husband and I had to pack up and make the return trip. My sisters, Brother-in-laws, nieces and nephew planned to meet up with us in Digby for lunch before Husband and I caught the ferry to Saint John.

The weather was not promising while we were on the road...

Photobucket

But it actually ended up being the nicest day of the weekend, weather-wise (go figure).

Husband and I arrived first. We had a short wait though, and the view was pretty nice.

Photobucket

The building with the red lighthouse on top is where we planned to go for lunch. Sister (Nova Scotia Sister) and I discovered it last year.

Photobucket

I did get a few pictures from lunch. Husband ordered seafood chowder, along with a plate of bacon wrapped scallops for us to share.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had 3 scallops, and a taste of Husband's chowder and biscuit. Then I got all distracted by the kids and by my own food when it arrived so failed to get photos of our main course - I had Pan Fried Haddock and Husband had fish and chips. There were fries with my Haddock, but I only ate a few because the fish was so good.

Then it was time for dessert. There were some happy kids at our table, let me tell you...

Photobucket

Photobucket

And I had coconut cream pie. I figured this was going to be lunch and dinner, so I went ahead and enjoyed myself.

Photobucket

After (and a couple times during) lunch, we let the kids run off some energy in the lovely green space behind the restaurant.

Photobucket

And enjoyed some more of the ocean view.

Photobucket

All too soon it was time to head for home. It took them forever to get the ferry loaded for some reason. We were supposed to sail at 4:30 and we were driving on at 4:28. I hadn't slept well over the weekend, so once we got underway I ended up sleeping for an hour of the 3 hour trip.

The weekend went too fast, and I wished that I'd had more time...But it was so nice to get home to my kitties and look forward to sleeping in my own bed.

It was a beautiful sunny evening. I went out to check on my garden and came in with:

Photobucket

I ate the two sad little sugar snap peas; the cucumbers have been going into salads for the past couple of days.

Then I took my baby Fred for a walk.

Photobucket

After a short walk of my own, I spent a little time puttering in the garden. With a little help from my friends.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

9 comments:

The Merry said...

Beautiful pictures. Sounds like a lovely trip.

Not sure about that penultimate pic, though. Do you have to water the kitty to keep his fur growing so long?

(Whaddya mean it's obvious I'm a dog person? How can you tell? ;)

Miz said...

jealous
jealous
jealous.

needing a vay cay,

Miz.

the Bag Lady said...

Hey! I had bacon-wrapped scallops this past weekend, too! But they were from PEI (a friend living here went down home for a visit - his son is running his fishing boat - he brought us scallops and lobster... he's a very nice man!)
Loved your pictures. I still wanna go to Nova Scotia. Sigh.

Charlotte said...

Your vacation looks so fun!! And the picture of walking your cat is awesome. PS> I would never, ever consider eating a cat! I'm sorry that the video on my site bothered you!!

JavaChick said...

Merry - they don't react well to having water poured on them, but they do go out and run around in the rain. Go figure.

Miz - I could use more vacay myself!

Bag Lady - sounds like a treat! And yes, Nova Scotia is bee-yoo-tiful.

Charlotte - Don't worry about the video; I know that I'm overly sensitive to these things...Most people would see the humor, I just kind of shudder.

Crabby McSlacker said...

What lovely pictures! It so makes me want to do another Canadian trip. And lovely garden and cat shots as well.

However, the food pictures now have me ravenous... couldn't you take pictures of ugly, unappealing food?

:)

Sagan said...

The garden, the food, the scenery, the socializing... glorious.

Jaime said...

Ugh, yes Saturday was disgusting. Glad you got to enjoy part of Sunday...it ended up being gorgeous here after about 1pm.

JavaChick said...

Crabby - I'd like to say that it did not taste as good as it looks...But that would be dishonest! Sorry!

Sagan - Very good word to describe the weekend. :)

Jaime - hope we get some actual summer eventually. This is getting ridiculous.