Pages

Friday, November 30, 2007

Let there be light!

Weigh In: 138 (-1 lb)

Weigh in day - down 1 pound. Very happy with that.

Read this article yesterday about SAD, light therapy and dawn simulators:


Shedding a light on winter depression


This is something that I relate to. I always seem to have more energy during the summer months. I need lots of light! Ever watch Farscape? I think I'm a plant person like Zhaan - need that sunlight, baby! Except I'm not blue. Actually, I have an unfortunate tendency to burn bright red if I'm out in the sun too much. And I'm nowhere near that tall. I don't bloom either. Ok, so not like Zhaan, where were we? Oh yeah...

This time of year, when the weather is turning colder and we're driving home from work in the dark, I just want to curl up on the couch, pull a blanket up to my chin and stay there until spring. And it is sooooo hard to wake up and crawl out of bed in the morning when it's dark. Unbelievably hard. I mean, it can't be time to wake up yet if it's still dark can it? Nope, didn't think so.

A couple of years ago, I got one of these:

Dawn Simulator

The researchers and doctors can debate all they like, but I love this thing. It has made a huge difference for me. It does make my bedside table a little crowded - I have two alarm clocks: the SunRise Clock and a clock radio - but the light really helps to ease me into the state where I am ready to wake up when that clock radio goes off. I feel much less sluggish and groggy. My "hibernation tendencies" (that desire to just stay under a blanket until spring) are much decreased. I hardly ever sleep right through the alarm anymore. Believe, when it's dark, that is so easy to do.

I don't think those hibernation tendencies will ever go away completely, nor will I ever be a person who comes instantly awake and jumps joyfully out of bed in the morning...But winter mornings are much less painful, thanks to my trusty Dawn Simulator.


--------------------
Daily Record
--------------------
BF: Coffee w/cream, yogurt w/strawberries & rapberries, 1 mini-wunderbar (yes, for breakfast...I have a serious chocolate problem)

3 comments:

~Laura said...

Since the time change and it is getting dark earlier I cannot seem to get with it. I have been going walking so much less than in the summer. I kept thinking my body would adjust but that I am not sure of yet.

MARFSBABY said...

I saw these at Costco and we've been thinking of getting one too. The jiggle machine I use at the slimming salon I go to has one right on it and I stand in front of it for ten minutes every day (while I'm jiggling). The thing about that is, that I don't know if that's what's making me feel so good or if it's the jiggles. Or a combination of the two.

JavaChick said...

laura - I generally find the time change in the fall a bit easier to deal with (as opposed to the spring where you have to wake up an hour earlier - really messes with the body clock), but I have a hard time with the darkness. When it's dark, I just want to sleep!

marfsbaby - LOL! Hard to say. If you get one and try it out, you'll have to let me know what the verdict is!