Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

We now resume regularly scheduled blogging...

I am going to get back on schedule this week, I promise!

I'm finally feeling better. I had 2 weeks of almost constant headaches, I'm not sure why, but yesterday I finally started feeling better.

Yesterday - being finally headache free and finding that I could actually think clearly again - I had a little realization about food.

I have enjoyed cooking for as long as I can remember. Mom started us kids early, and we all took to it.

Lately cooking and meal planning seems like such a chore. I'm sure part of it is time. I come home from work at the end of a long day - the last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen. And weekends have been pretty busy too.

But.

When I sit down on the weekend to try and plan meals for the week so I can make a grocery list, I have a hard time. I can't seem to think of anything I want to eat.

Yesterday, the light bulb went on.

A big part of the enjoyment I get from cooking is the anticipation. While I'm cooking, I'm looking forward to eating the end result. The flavours, the textures, it's all important. But it all seems so complicated these days - trying to plan meals that will satisfy me, satisfy Husband, not be too time-consuming for a week night, and fit in with my weight loss goals. It's all too much. I feel like I just don't know what to eat anymore.

It really shouldn't be that complicated. The theory is, you should be able to eat healthy foods that you enjoy in moderate amounts and you will lose weight. Right? What's hard about that? Should be simple.

I don't know, but it's all frustrating.

Still, there's nothing to do but keep trying. So, I'm here to restate what I've been trying to do all along: JavaChick will eat a clean diet. Or, as mizfit likes to say, JavaChick's version of a clean diet. Because there is only so much time in a day. Sometimes shortcuts come in handy.

This doesn't really change much. It's what I've always had in the back of my mind anyway: eat good food and be healthy. I still have to plan meals, buy groceries, cook and clean up after. But, I'm hoping that recognizing the issue might help.

Tonight's supper was defrosted from the freezer. We are under a Boil Water Order again. Something about a broken chlorine injection system and they're saying it won't be fixed before Friday, at the earliest. Pain in the butt.

Still feeling my calf muscle, but I very carefully did my Burn & Firm Pilates workout which combines weights, cardio and pilates. Then I spent a bit of time with Wii Fit. It mentioned that it hadn't seen Husband lately, which I thought was hilarious (also true). Went upstairs and told him so. Maybe it will give him a little nudge.


------------------------------
Daily Record
------------------------------
Weight: Still not speaking to the scale

BF: coffee w/cream, Yogurt & Granola
Lunch: leftover Madras curry
Snack: Fibre1 Bar
Supper: Green Thai Chicken Curry & Rice
Dessert: Key Lime Cream Pie

Workout: Burn & Firm Pilates + Wii session

5 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

I know how difficult it can be to be the chief cook and bottle washer and hold down a full-time job, too!! I applaud you in your efforts to eat your version of "clean"! Keep up the good work, kiddo.

Missicat said...

I hear ya - I just have to cook for myself, yet when I am in the grocery store I just draw a big blank on what I want.
My scale and I had harsh words and broke up. It's the best thing to happen! :-)

Anonymous said...

woo HOO.
back to the regularly scheduled blogging!

(and you *know* Im all about the clean is what you decide it is notion...)

M.

Unknown said...

I love it when the light bulb suddenly turns on like that! When it comes to clean eating, its always so difficult to find a meal when its for several people. Figuring out what to make for myself would be easy if it were just me, but when you've got a few people in the house then there's always got to be negotiations:) Thank goodness for the basics like stir fried veggies and meat!

Crissy Rae said...

How do you like the Wii Fit? My friend's husband wants to get her one but is curious how it works. I think it's hilarious that it asked about your hubby..that's awesome!