Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

INDIAN SPICED HADDOCK

(serves 4)

1 1/2 lb thick pieces of haddock fillet, skinned

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp coriander seeds

pinch of cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp turmeric

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp sunflower oil

1 small onion, sliced

1-in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

1 fresh green chili, cored, seeded and finely chopped

1 small cauliflower, cut into florets

2 potatoes, diced

1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into strips

2/3 cup water

black pepper

plain yogurt to serve

Directions:

1. Cut the haddock into 2-in squares and put them into a bowl.

2. Crush the spices and salt. IMG_8093

IMG_8096

Sprinkle the mixture over the haddock, stir to coat evenly, cover and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

IMG_8100

3. Heat half of the oil in a skillet, add the onion, and cook over high heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger and chili and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower, potatoes, and green pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and set aside.

4. Heat the remaining oil, add the haddock and brown lightly all over. Add the cooked vegetables and measured water and simmer for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked and the vegetables are tender. Taste for seasoning. Serve at once with the yogurt.

IMG_8104

As usual, I did not entirely follow the recipe…

* I used 1 potato and 1 sweet potato.

* I used about half a head of cauliflower, and that seemed like plenty; it was probably more of a medium-large size than small size head of cauliflower.

* I was quite generous with the ginger and I didn’t have a fresh chili, so I used dried chili flakes.

* I used a red bell pepper because Husband doesn’t like green peppers.

* I used coconut oil – I’d guess this could really be the oil of your choice.

* I did not have plain yogurt, so I reduced the amount of water to about a half cup, and added about a half cup of light coconut milk.This created a bit of a sauce for the dish.

The recipe says 4 servings and serving with salad and rice we did get 2 meals out of this.

2 comments:

Jennifer Spinney Gutierrez said...

I tried the recipe-sort of. Like you, I didn't follow it exactly. I cooked a side of rice and omitted the potatoes, replaced the cauliflower with carrots and chayote and sugar peas. I had sole, not haddock. Come to think of it, I didn't "follow" the recipe at all. Just used it as a starting point, lol!

I'll let you know if it's a success.

JavaChick said...

Replaced the cauliflower with carrots? Now why would you want to go and ruin a perfectly good recipe by adding carrots... ;)