Pages

Sunday, December 6, 2009

That’ll Put Marzipan in Your Pie Plate Bingo!

Today was not a stellar food-bloggy day. Part of my reason for going the food blog route (besides the fact that I like talking about food and garden season is over) was to help me get an accurate picture of my eating habits. I like to think that most of the time I do not too bad. Then there are days like today.

I had an appointment for a hair cut at 11 am. I dragged myself out of bed at 9 am – really wanted to stay there and sleep more – and stumbled around getting coffee and an English muffin for breakfast. Just made it to the hair dresser for 11:00.

IMG_8044

Finished there by around 11:40. Normally I would enjoy looking around some of the stores uptown when I’m there on a Saturday, but I just didn’t feel like it today (not want to shop? obviously I was not myself).

I did have to go out to Sears to pick up a parcel, so I did that. I walked through the furniture department because I have been wanting a new rug for the living room for over a year now but can’t seem to find one I like – I did see one today though so that was a little bit exciting.

Made a stop at Canadian Tire, then the Superstore for groceries, then home.

I had eaten breakfast around 9:30-ish. It was now after 2:00 so I figured I should eat something. I had just come from grocery shopping, I had a kitchen full of food, but I could not think of anything I wanted to eat.

The idea of listening to your body about when to eat and what to eat is a very popular one these days, but it really seems like mine has no idea what it wants a lot of the time. I ended up having about 8 oz of Bolthouse protein drink and some pancakes from a can (review to come). I also reheated and finished off the coffee from breakfast. My tummy felt satisfied with that.

IMG_8049 IMG_8046

 IMG_8047

I really had no energy or ambition to do anything, but I feel like I can’t keep up with things as it is, and the idea of goofing off for the afternoon and getting even farther behind was not appealing either. So  I did some laundry and some tidying up.

Then I set about making Bean Balls for supper. Husband was going out computer gaming for the evening, I had been feeling sad to see my supply of Bean Ball lunches disappearing from the freezer (well, happy that I was eating them for lunches – sad that soon they would be gone), so when Husband said he would be out, I immediately decided on what I would be making for supper. At least I had Marinara Sauce in the freezer, so all I had to do was make the Bean Balls and heat up sauce.

Husband wanted to know what I was making.

“Spaghetti and Bean Balls.”

“That’s not meat balls.”

“No, it’s not. But they’re good!”

“But that’s not meat balls.”

“No, it’s not. I’m not making them for you.”

Aren’t I a nice wife?

Once the Bean Balls were all made, I went to get in a short workout. Very short – I tried out Circuit B for December and only repeated it twice, which took me about 15 minutes. That felt like enough.

I was up and down the stairs a few times after my workout and my legs were feeling shaky. After a 15 minute workout. I though perhaps I haven’t eaten enough. I had also realized during my workout that I hadn’t had any water all day – just coffee and protein drink. So, I pounded back a bottle of water and ate some Triscuits with Hummus before going to have a shower.

Then I cooked some noodles and had my supper. Broccoli slaw, Bean Balls & whole wheat spaghetti, topped with (sorry vegans, avert your eyes) real cheese. Normally I would go for mozzarella or parmesan on top of pasta, but we bought this Balderson Double Smoked Cheddar and I thought it might go well – it is very smoky and cheddar-y at the same time.

IMG_8058

IMG_8059 IMG_8060

Along with my comfort food and comfort drink, I had some comfort TV (and if you are a Buffy fan, my post title should now make sense and tell you what I was watching).

I only ate about half the spaghetti because that felt like enough. And then a short while later I ate some cookies. And some baked kettle chips. Not because I was hungry. I really don’t know why.

Anyway, I got to thinking about my weekend eating because this is a pretty normal pattern – not necessarily eating all the extras after dinner, but not having a real lunch. I usually blame it on being too busy doing stuff and not wanting to take the time. But today I honestly just couldn’t think of anything I wanted. So I drank the protein drink because it was easy and ate pancakes because I’ll pretty much never say no to pancakes.

Sometimes I blame it on lack of a structured routine. I was thinking that I don’t have this problem during the week – my lunch and dinner is usually all planned out and when lunch time rolls around, I’m ready to eat. In the afternoon, I am ready for a small snack.

Except of course that breakfast is still a problem for me. Which is why I’ve been drinking those protein drinks so often lately – I’m tired of trying to think of something I want to eat for breakfast.

A friend once said they thought that eating was a chore for me. It seemed like a funny idea. I like food. I like eating.

Except when I feel like I can’t be bothered was the thought that occurred to me today.

I don’t really have an conclusion or great revelation here. I don’t know whether there needs to be one? If it’s only the weekends, does it matter that much? Except it isn’t just the weekends, it’s breakfasts during the week. I don’t know. Just sorta thinking and trying to work this out.

1 comment:

the Bag Lady said...

I get where you're coming from - there are lots of times I don't know what I want to eat. Which is when I end up eating something unhealthy.
Sigh.