Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Shot in the Arm

Yeah, I went and got an H1N1 vaccination today. I text messaged Husband from the waiting area after to tell him and his response was ‘?? why did you?’ Not a surprising response I guess, since I’d said I didn’t think I would be getting one.

H1N1 vaccinations were a hot topic a month ago, along with the fact that the vaccination clinics were a disaster. Friends who had been to the clinics for High Priority Groups said they were completely disorganized, the wait time was hours, and the clinics kept running out of vaccine. It seemed like a lot of hassle to avoid getting the flu.

But I started hearing more about the H1N1 flu, and the danger of respiratory complications. I have asthma, and while it doesn’t trouble me most of the time, I have had some scary attacks. Technically, having asthma puts me in the High Priority Group. This little voice in the back of my head started telling me that maybe I should rethink this; it’s one thing to be stoic about getting the flu…Ignoring a possibly serious health risk is a different thing altogether. A thing you might call stupid.

Then yesterday a co-worker sent out information about a vaccination clinic today, within walking distance of the office. So I figured I could at least go down and check it out, right? So I left my desk a few minutes before 11 am and walked down. Then I pretty much just walked right through – no waiting time at all except for the 15 minutes after my shot to make sure I wasn’t going to have a reaction.

I would have tried to talk Husband into going down, except that I figured he wouldn’t go for it and he most likely did not have his Medicare card with him anyway.

I’m glad that I went though – feels like one less thing to worry about.

My arm did start to get sore in the afternoon though. Today was supposed to be a Circuit Training day, and a new routine to boot. I watched the video demos of the new workouts yesterday while eating lunch, and was looking forward to trying out the first one today (yes, I was; I’m not making that up; honest). So I thought: I’ll skip the push ups that are part of the warm up – that will make it a little easier. Then time passed, and my arm felt even more sore.

Yeah, so I sorta feel like a wimp, but I decided to take the day off from working out. Would have liked to start of the month with a bang, but hopefully it will feel better tomorrow.

On to the rest of my day…

It was cold today! I heard on the radio that the high was going to be –1 degrees Celsius…Quite a difference from yesterdays 9 degrees above 0. I dug out my knee length suede coat with the [fake]furry collar. I don’t know that it’s actually warmer than the jacket I have been wearing, but I feel like it is with the fuzzy collar around my neck, and because it’s longer.

We had some bread left, so breakfast was toast with PB & J, along with a small glass of Bolthouse Perfectly Protein Mocha.

IMG_8005

Frank kept me company.

IMG_8010

He looked extremely interested in my toast, so I gave him a little piece which he proceeded to play with. I think it makes him feel like he’s hunting for his food.

Coffee at work.

IMG_0375

For lunch today, I selected my last container of Rockin’ Moroccan Stew.

IMG_0376

And I had an afternoon snack of a Coconut Cream Pie LaraBar.

IMG_0377

I was really hungry today for some reason. When I got home, the soup, which had been defrosting in the fridge, still had a frozen chunk in the middle. So I had a snack while I puttered around the kitchen and waited for the soup to thaw.

IMG_8011

Supper was a repeat of Saturday night.

IMG_8012

IMG_8013 IMG_8014

I think the soup was even better tonight!

I was a little iffy on the shrimp wontons when we saw them at the store, but Husband loves shrimp so we decided to try them. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. They smell awesome coming out of the oven, like sesame oil – one of my favourite smells! And they tasted really good. The wrappers were nice and flaky, and the shrimp inside was perfect – not tough or fishy tasting. I would buy these again.

And dessert.

IMG_8015

So this was my second stab at baking Pound Cake. Last time I thought the outside/crust tasted a little overdone. This time I decreased the baking time by 5 minutes and tested it. My cake tester came out clean, so I took it out of the oven.

When I trimmed the top off to frost it, I was afraid I might have undercooked it. But I actually think it came out better this time – I think it might be staying a bit moister.

Anyway, 2 Pound Cakes in 2 weeks is enough, so I promise to take a break this weekend.  I think I found out what I wanted to know – I found a recipe and I can turn out a decent Pound Cake.

2 comments:

carla said...

please to send me some pound cake.
I shall cut it into cubes and dip it in fondue!

totally a childhood memory ;)

Miz.

Charlotte said...

Yay for the flu shot! I ended up getting one too. So far nothing freaky has happened:) And I second Miz about the pound cake... mmmm