Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day!

I hadn't planned a Valentine's post, but it seems like a lot of people are talking about it (there's a "duh" moment - why wouldn't they be?), and I don't exactly have much to say on the diet and exercise front since I have spent the past couple of days curled up on the couch in my PJ's so...My Valentine Story.

Twelve years ago today, I was walking out of the college cafeteria with my mid-morning coffee and there was Moon waiting for me, rose in hand. Now, I'm really very slow when it comes to these things. My first thought was "How sweet, what a thoughtful guy he is." This thought was quickly followed by "Holy Cow! He's asking me out! What do I do? What do I do?"

I was completely shocked. We had met there at school, the previous fall when the new school year began. We saw each other every day in the computer lab, in the cafeteria, in the halls. It was a small school, hard to miss each other really. I was busy concentrating on school work and learning and all that self-improvement. I was extremely shy and I was very good at not being noticed. Or so I had thought.

Speechless and totally freaked out I babbled something about having to get back to class (okay, I think I actually said: "I have to go sit down now"...so sad, really) and then I ran off leaving poor Moon certain that he had blown his chance.

But here we are, twelve years later, all happily married. We had our sixth wedding anniversary last New Year's Eve (we really make the holidays our own don't we?) and this is our seventh Valentine's Day as an old married couple. I have seven long-stemmed red roses in a vase at home, from Moon, one for each year we've been married he said. Tonight we're going out to dinner at our favourite restaurant. I am more than content.

I hope you all have a fantastic February 14th!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I love this story! So sweet. And so funny about you panicking! teehee.

Unknown said...

what a cute story! sounds like a great valentine's day to me, my b/f and i are celebrating tomorrow night (we prefer 'off' days to be different)... :o)

Erin said...

That is so wonderful - it feels good to be content :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Crabby McSlacker said...

What a wonderful story--I love happy endings that start off a bit awkward.

Sounds like an awesome Valentines Day --have a great time at dinner!

JavaChick said...

Thanks everyone. I've always felt like such an idiot for my reaction to being asked out on a date, but I guess it does make for a good story.

:)

the Bag Lady said...

Aww - that's so sweet!
The cowboy showed up at my door once with a clothes iron.

Romantic, eh?

There's a lot more to that story, but I'll leave it to your imagination... :)