Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2008

I didn't want to...

But I did.

Exercise that is.

I really wasn't feeling it last night. I wasn't feeling great yesterday, and last night the idea of staying on the couch was very attractive. But I convinced myself to do an easy walk on the treadmill (45 mins), then 10 minutes with weights. Maybe not much of a workout but better than no exercise, right?

I am struggling with this whole process of losing weight and it just seems to be getting harder. I'm trying to get some perspective, to be realistic in my expectations. I sat down with my day planner today and looked at my weigh-ins for the month of January. Starting from Jan 4, and going to Jan 25 (Fridays being my official weigh-in day), I lost 1.6 lbs. Not a whole lot for all of this whining and complaining...uh, I mean hard work...is it? It's still a loss, so I'm telling myself that is good.

If I could lose a pound a month for the rest of the year, that would be a little more that 12 pounds gone. I won't pretend that rate of loss thrills me, it seems painfully slow. On top of that, it still doesn't put me inside the ideal weight range for my height. But I would be moving in the right direction.

What scares me is knowing from past experience that losses seem to slow down even more over time. So if I only managed 1.6 pounds in January, where am I going to be a couple of months from now?

I feel like this is a bit of a downer post today. That wasn't my intention. Believe it or not, I am actually trying to convince myself this is not a lost cause; that I can do it, it will just take time. Better to accept right off the bat that it is going to take a while to get to my goal than to expect to be all trim and svelte by the time summer rolls around.

I am trying to believe. I really am. But it's nowhere near easy.

-----------------------------
Daily Record
-----------------------------
Weight: 143.7

BF: 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 cup yogurt, coffee w/cream
Lunch: WW Pita Pizza
Supper: ????

6 comments:

Sarah said...

On days where I feel like it's all going to slow, this is my mantra:

"Dieting isn't supposed to be fun or easy."

No an uplifter by any means, but more of an affirmation that you are taking on a hard and stressful thing, and you should feel proud that you've got the strength to stick with it!

the Bag Lady said...

Don't get discouraged. Just keep telling yourself that you are getting better and stronger and, even if the loss is slow (and seems non-existent at times), you are in better shape, and that can only be a good thing!!

I admire you for your determination, and for being so honest with us on your blog.

**and for a good belly laugh, come on back and check out some of the new comments about the cowboy carrot - it's getting sillier and sillier over there!**

JavaChick said...

Thanks. I know you are both right. It is hard work but it is worth it. It's all about being healthy, right?

MARFSBABY said...

I'm right there with ya sista! And a bit weight loss blue this month too... I can't seem to drop any. I'm maintaining and haven't gained anything, but i'm hungry all the time doing just that... I'd have to eat even less if I wanted to lose and I just don't like the thought of being more blue cus I'm fricken' hungry. I'm probably not even hungry either, just habitual. Ugh!

MARFSBABY said...

The bag lady is right hon... don't get discouraged. Take it one day at a time and try a little harder each day... just a little and it'll come off a bit faster than the twelve month outlook.

Mamacita Chilena said...

Don't be sad, weight loss takes time AND tons of patience. You'll get there, you just have to keep plugging along. Does it really matter when you reach the goal as long as you eventually get there?