Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

...And a rant.

Last night got home from work and was starving, so I ended up eating most of a bag of Quaker Crispy Minis while getting supper ready. I did try not to go overboard - I ate some, then thought I should stop...so I left them alone for a bit, but then I still felt really hungry so I ate more. Could have been worse I guess - they are relatively low in calories, but it would have been better if I could have waited for supper. I think the soup at lunch is just not cutting it and I need to add something more to help keep me full. Today I have leftover noodles for lunch, so we'll see how that goes.

I have to confess that I am feeling very frustrated with this whole weight loss thing. I am trying so hard to make healthy food choices, to watch portions, to get regular exercise. I won't claim that I have done it all perfectly, but I think I've been putting in a good effort. And what do I get for all my hard work? The scale goes up.

The other day, out of curiosity, I averaged my weekly weigh-ins for Jan, Feb, Mar & April. Know what the averages say? That in 4 months I have lost about a pound. One whole pound.

I can deal with sticking to a diet, cutting out certain foods, restricting calories and all of that if I am seeing results. I could even deal with feeling hungry sometimes (though not starving, as I don't deal well with that - clearly demonstrated by last night's inhalation of Crispy Minis), as long as I am seeing results. But it seems like I'm not getting anywhere which makes it all feel pretty pointless.

I'm not giving up. I haven't quite reached the breaking point yet. But I am frustrated.

-------------------------
Daily Record
-------------------------
Weight: 143.8

BF: Steel cut oats, coffee w/cream
Lunch: Garlicky Peanut Noodles (leftover), grapes & apple slices
Snack: PC Vanilla Yogurt w/cranberry granola
Supper: salad, spaghetti

Workout: 35 mins treadmill with jogging intervals.
Upper Body Strength:
- 8 full push ups + 8 modified push ups X 2
- 12 single arm rows (14 lb) X 2
- 12 tricep kickbacks (7 lb) X 2
- 6 bicep curls (14 lb) + 6 bicep curls (10 lb) X 2
- 12 Military press (10 lb) X 2
- 12 side laterals (5 lb) X 2

2 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

I feel your frustration, and can relate, totally.
Hang in there. Keep doing what you're doing. Really! Even if the weight loss is really slow, you are in good shape, and that counts for a lot.

meredi said...

Hey, still catching up on some older posts (sorry!).

Just wondering -- how many points / calories are you eating these days? And how much are you trying to lose?

I ask because I don't like that you're talking about being hungry some of the time :( My leader told me right at the beginning that if I was hungry, something was wrong. You might want to look at the mix of protein and fat in your diet to see if you could eat some things that will tide you over longer. For instance, I have completely cut out rice cakes from my diet (even though I am ADDICTED to Crispy Minis and have eating entire bags numerous times). The reason why is they're all refined rice -- they basically have no nutritional value and are digested so quickly that you're hungry again almost immediately. Maybe you could look at your mix of foods and try and incorporate some higher fibre / higher fat / higher protein options? Your tummy might thank you :)

Just an idea! I know I only have 1% of your story so if you're already doing this, just ignore me :)