Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Personal diet rules

On Fridays, our Project Manager will usually bring in Timbits (for anyone unfamiliar with Tim Horton's, timbit=donut hole) and muffins. I rarely go to Tim Horton's, and to be honest I don't much care for their baked goods. Except for the chocolate chip muffins (hello! chocolate chips) and the jelly filled timbits. Mostly, I manage to avoid the muffins because I know that I've eaten breakfast and I don't need it. But those timbits look so small and innocent.

Usually the boxes of goodies start out in the meeting room (for our Friday morning meeting), then end up in the kitchen. Last week for some reason, they were sitting on the desk right beside mine. All day. One of my co-workers who works in a different room had been in and out a few times, and finally remarked that she didn't know how I could sit here next to the box and not be eating them all day (or at least until they are gone). I replied that I will only eat the ones that are my favourite, after that I leave the box alone. That is sort of a self-imposed rule. Because otherwise I could quite easily find myself munching on them all day long. And, for the most part, not really enjoying them that much. So how is that worth it?

I have a few of these "Personal Diet Rules", such as:
1. Only eat the jelly filled donut holes
2. When work provides pizza lunches with cans of pop as beverages, I will only drink pop if there is Coke. Coca-Cola is my favourite soft drink, and if I'm going to have a soft drink, it will be the one I really like. If there is no Coke, I stick to water.
3. My two flavours of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. I'm actually not a big ice cream person, but I do love Ben & Jerry's. They have two coffee-with-chocolate flavoured ones that I really love (cause, really, the only thing better than chocolate or coffee is chocolate and coffee). So when I'm walking by the ice cream case, and I find myself looking, I keep right on going unless I see one of my two faves (which hardly ever happens).

What about you? Do you have any personal rules around what treats are worth splurging on and what treats are not?

------------------------
Daily Record
------------------------
Weight: 143.2

BF: Fibre 1 granola bar, coffee w/cream
Lunch: raw cauliflower, ww pita, hummus
Snack: vanilla yogurt w/raspberries
Supper: salad, spanish rice

Workout: Stability Ball DVD (30 mins), 40 minutes Treadmill

2 comments:

Crissy Rae said...

Loved this post! Thought I was the only one with food categories! One of mine is Panera Bread. They have lots of baked goods and I can ignore all of them except the Chocolate Chip muffies. These are choc. chip muffin tops only, you know, the BEST part. For those, I will happily splurge and, since they are only the tops, I can rationalize having more than I should.

Now I want one....

the Bag Lady said...

The Bag Lady's only rule is; If it's still moving, don't eat it.
Sigh.

Coke is my personal favourite, too. Loved your rules. Should probably try applying some to my own life.

Actually, I'm kidding. I have rules, too - no butter/margarine on sandwiches is the only one that will surface in my menopause-raddled brain right now.