Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Reasons To Lose Weight - #3

It’s weighing on my mind. It’s always there, hovering. Will I see a loss at this week’s weigh-in? How long will this take? What if I plateau again, and get discouraged again. How can I change up my diet, my workouts, to get results? Anytime there is a social engagement coming up, I am preoccupied wondering: What can I wear that I won't feel fat in?

I’m so impatient. Realistically, I know it takes time, but I want the weight to be gone now! I feel like I’m wishing my life away, each week impatient for weigh-in day so I can advance the ticker, reduce the number of pounds left to lose, adjust my countdown.

It’s like that Quaker commercial, where the women are walking around with a scale dragging from their ankle. It’s a burden I could do without.

After 3 weeks of seeing the numbers on the scale steadily drop, this week those numbers are suddenly increasing again, even though I have been eating properly and working out. I know that ups and downs happen, even when you are doing the right things, but it does wear one down eventually.

Daily Details
I was tired last night, and by the time we finished supper and cleaned up it was getting late, so I did a short workout (30 mins on the treadmill and 35 push-ups for the challenge). Then I had a shower and went to bed. Didn't eat anything extra. Drank all my water yesterday.

Scale was up this morning. This is starting to get to me...up 3 days in a row, and today was a big increase. Grr! At least the weather has finally warmed up a bit.

---------------------
Daily Record
---------------------
Weight: 143.9

BF: Toasted WW Raisin Bread w/PB, coffee w/cream
Lunch: chickpea curry w/brown rice
Snack: yogurt w/strawberries & raspberries
Supper: Kickin' Chicken (ESBM recipe), rice, veggies

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Weeks like that SUCK. But as long as you're counting all your calories, you KNOW you're not doing anything wrong, your body is doing ~something~ funny, and as soon as it corrects itself you'll see it go way down!

Don't let it discourage you!

the Bag Lady said...

Try eating half a grapefruit and a piece of dry toast for breakfast for a couple days. The grapefrut acts as a bit of a diuretic, and it sounds like you are probably retaining a little fluid.
"You Are Always on my Mind" started humming through the Bag Lady's head as soon as she started reading your post, and when she got to the part about the Quaker commercial she started to laugh - you were on the same wave-length! (Unfortunately, instead of the white-bread version of the song from the commercial, the one in the Bag Lady's head was Willie Nelson's warble...and now it's stuck there! Sigh.)

JavaChick said...

Thank you ladies. I will keep on truckin'.

Bag Lady, you make me laugh! Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up some grapefruit on my next trip through the grocery store.

Shirls said...

It took me 4 years and 15 days to reach goal, so yep I totally get the whole can't wait thing and ironically I still think of myself as attached to that damn scale in those commercials, not so much about loosing anymore but about not gaining.. for me that is just the way it is

Roni said...

keeping plugging! I know it can way on you but if you keep doing what you are doing the scale will catch up! It will!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Arrgh, how frustrating!

I guess it's one of those weeks to focus on how healthy you're being and how much your body will thank you years down the line. And hopefully it's water and/or muscle gain. Just don't get discouraged, it's great that you're doing all the right stuff!

JavaChick said...

Thanks for the kind words Shirls, Roni & Crabby. I know that in the long run the most important thing is to live healthy.

I really appreciate everyone stopping by and offering encouragement!