Pages

Monday, January 28, 2008

Recipe: Chickpea Curry with Brown Rice

Since Christy asked in the comments, I thought I'd throw this up here. I don't actually have a recipe for this, it was based on a recipe called Chickpeas Cooked in Tea (Dhabay kay chanai) from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking. I adjusted for what I had on hand. So, this is what I think I remember doing...

Chickpea Curry with Brown Rice

1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 or 2 carrots, chopped (depending on size)
1/2 - 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger (to taste, I like lots)
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garam masala
salt, cinnamon, turmeric (I don't think I measured, large pinch?)
1 lg can diced tomatoes
1 carton chicken or vegetable stock (900 ml tetra pack)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1 cup brown rice
handful chopped cilantro

Heat a little oil in large pot (or use cooking spray, whatever you fancy). Add cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 15 seconds or so. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots and ginger and saute until vegetables start to soften. Add the remaining spices and chickpeas, and stir around for a few seconds more. Add tomatoes, broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Add rice and simmer over low heat until rice is cooked. Stir in cilantro and remove from heat.

The original recipe does not have the broth & the rice, it did have 2 cans of chickpeas rather than one. I added the broth & rice because it's easier than cooking rice separately. Also, I only had 1 can of chickpeas in the cupboard. I added the cinnamon & turmeric because they are common curry spices, but I'm sure you could get by without them.

2 comments:

Christy said...

That's awesome, thank you! I'm going to try it this weekend. It probably freezes well, and I'm alll about leftovers!

I'm new to Indian cooking (funny enough, I have a potluck this Friday night and everyone has to bring an Indian dish!) so I'm a little unsure of the garam masala, where do you find it in the grocery store? Is it a spice?

Thank you again!

JavaChick said...

Hi Christy, it does freeze well and makes a nice, warm comforting lunch for these cold winter days.

Garam Masala is an Indian spice blend. The only place I've been able to find it around here (Saint John, NB) is the Bulk Barn. I think Indian cooking is becoming more popular though, so it may show up the grocery store now, who knows? But if you can't find it anywhere else, check out your local bulk foods place.