Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Happy Valentines Weekend

It was 14 years ago on Valentine’s Day that Husband asked me out for the first time. Husband usually takes great enjoyment from reminding me of how I panicked and ran away. So far he hasn’t said anything, but since Valentine’s Day is actually tomorrow perhaps he’s saving it. Or maybe he’s decided it’s finally time to let me live that one down.

We went out and had our Valentine’s Dinner tonight because the restaurant that Husband wanted to take me to is closed on Sunday’s. What’s funny is I had thought of going there, then was disappointed when I realized they are closed on Sundays. So when Husband told me yesterday that he’d made reservations for tonight I knew right away where we were going. Apparently we are completely in tune with one another.

We went out to Taco Pica, on Germain Street in Uptown Saint John. We used to go there quite often when we lived Uptown – and this is not our first Valentine’s dinner there. Since we moved out of town we don’t get there as often, but we always enjoy it when we go.

Taco Pica is a Guatemalan restaurant. Husband used to travel a lot for work, and has been to Guatemala. He says the food at Taco Pica is very authentic based on what he had in his travels. Considering that the proprietors are Guatemalan, that is not surprising.

I love the colorful interior.

IMG_8473

We ended up arriving quite early, so there weren’t many people there yet. By the time we left it was filling up.

It is traditional when we go there to order Margaritas.

IMG_8472

For an appetizer, I had stuffed Jalapeno Peppers.

IMG_8474

IMG_8475

Husband had Snake Bites, which are like spicy chicken nuggets. Then for my entree I had the Black Bean Quesadilla with extra salsa and sour cream.

IMG_8476

They make the best refried black beans, and when you put those black beans and cheese in a quesadilla, and serve with salsa and sour cream, I am a happy JavaChick.

Husband had a pork taco and a shrimp taco. That might not sound like much, and the pork taco is actually not that big (I didn’t get a picture) but the Shrimp taco is pretty impressive.

IMG_8477

There is shrimp and potatoes and peppers and cheese and maybe onions in there. Husband ate a lot of it with a fork, until he could roll up the rest and eat it taco style.

I ate half my quesadilla and was full – the other half is in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

There are also some chocolate dipped strawberries from Rocky Mountain Chocolate in the fridge for dessert, but right now we’re both too full.

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Love your guy's story. :)

Dinner looks delish!

the Bag Lady said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you and husband, Javachick!
Your supper looked amazing - especially the margarita! :)

We are going to a friends house for supper tonight - the men are doing the cooking AND the dishes! Yippee!

Charlotte said...

Happy Valentine's Day! What a sweet first date story:) Looks like you had a tasty meal too!

JavaChick said...

Lynn - Thanks! It was a pretty good dinner. :)

Bag Lady - Any dinner where I don't have to wash dishes feels like a special occasion to me! Husband's solution to this is to take me out because he hates washing dishes. :)

Charlotte - We did have a tasty meal! And I had tasty leftovers for lunch yesterday. :)

Sagan said...

GIGGLING at your Valentine's Day story, that is the cutest ever.

That restaurant looks deliciously tasty. I like all that colour too, it's so cheery!

JavaChick said...

Sagan - it is a cheery spot. I love going there. :)